Blessed are You, Adonai our God, Sovereign of all, for giving us life, for sustaining us, and for enabling us to reach this season.
- Game pieces/winnings (see below)
- Small plastic or wooden dreidels
- Chocolate gelt
2. Select a player to start, typically youngest player goes first.
3. Before the first player plays, each player puts in one piece into the pot.
4. Each player spins the dreidel once until it falls on a side. The side up decides which action the player needs to complete:
- נ (nun) is face up. The player gets a pass and does nothing.
- ג (gimel) is face up. The player gets everything in the pot!
- ה (hey) is face up. The player gets half of the pieces (rounded up) in the pot.
- ש (shin) is face up. The player puts a piece in the pot.
- Get Competitive! Turn the game into a real dreidel tournament with this Major Leauge Dreidel's Spinagogue!
- Adult Only Party? Introduce some fun drinking games - reference the 8 Drinking Games of Hannukah for some inspiration.
- Create your own dreidel bingo game
Giveaway is over! Terri G is the winner!
Giveaway time! ModernTribe and Manischewitz have joined forces to bring you this fun giveaway just in time for Hanukkah! One winner will receive all of this:
- Signed copy of Sweet Noshings Cookbook
- Set of four Emoji Dreidels
- Jewish Wisdom Ball
- Manischewitz Chanukah House
- Manischewitz Chanukah Donut Mix
- Manischewitz Star of David and Dreidel Cookie Kits
Oh boy! To enter, just fill out the rafflecopter below with your email, and follow Manischewitz and ModernTribe on Facebook and Instagram for more chances to win. Good luck!
No purchase necessary to win. Giveaway open to US and Canada residents only.
- 3 cups (1 pound) russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1/4 medium white onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canola or other oil or more to fry
- Start by shredding your potatoes with a grater into a bowl of ice water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove potatoes, squeezing out the moisture into the water. Dry potatoes very well with towels. Let water sit 10 minutes for starch to accumulate on the bottom. Carefully drain water, reserving the white starch on the bottom.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl, dry again very well. Then add in the onion, garlic, eggs, flour and salt and reserved starch and combine.
- Meanwhile, heat up canola oil in a large saute pan. Scoop two tablespoon dollops of the potato mixture and flatten lightly and fry until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Then flip and fry the other side. Season with salt, drain on a rack over paper towels. Eat with applesauce and sour cream!
To make ahead, fry the latkes as normal but do not drain them and put them on a cookie sheet. Freeze the whole sheet and then to reheat just put in the oven frozen. The oil kind of refries them. Nearly as delicious as fresh. Enjoy!