"The mainstream New Year is often about resolutions and I no longer 'just resolve' to do anything. It sounds passive and gives me a feeling of a last ditch attempt, like I've let something go horridly wrong in the past. The shofar, and the Jewish New Year, is empowering, it is about opening one's eyes.
So, my wake up call is to be more aware every day. Be aware of my temple needs, as membership chair, be aware of the Jewish community and, the mainstream, to help all not just a group. To be aware of my role as a mother and wife. To be aware of my own needs and desires, to be the best person I can be. To network more to help raise others up to their aspirations. So, the shofar call is my awareness call, and it isn't even sounding yet, and I can see more clearly and hear it echo through me - I am honestly blessed."
Rosh Hashanah begins the eve of Friday, September 18th, this year. The Jewish New Year is a time for contemplation: reflecting on the past year and planning for the new. The shofar (ram's horn) is blown, calling people to wake up from their moral sleep, think about their behavior, and become better people.
This is our question for the Cool Jew New You Giveaway, happening in conjunction with the Cool Jew Artist Showcase on Sunday, September 13th at the JCC of Manhattan. Many of the contributors to the giveaway will be performing at the event. Learn more about the JCC event.
One lucky winner will receive the following gifts:
- Ladino chanteuse Sarah Aroeste's Puertas CD ($15)
- Stand-up comedian Yisrael Campbell's Circumcise Me DVD ($20)
- Eprhyme’s debut CD WAYWORDWONDERWILL ($15) and 7-inch vinyl single, Punklezmerap, on K Records as part of its International Pop Underground Series ($5)
- Jewcy.com’s “Table Topics: Spirit Box” discussion cards ($25)
- Author Lisa Alcalay Klug's book Cool Jew: The Ultimate Guide for Every Member of the Tribe ($13)
- Living Tree Community Foods’ organic Snugglespoon honey, raw almond butter and raw tahini ($47 total)
- Rachel and Matti’s CD sampler Your Kindness ($5)
- Jennie Rivlin Roberts' "No Limit Texas Dreidel" game from ModernTribe.com ($20)
- Jean Roth’s Rotem Gear What Would Maimonides Do? t-shirt ($24)
- Author Matthue Roth’s books, Never Mind the Goldbergs ($8) and Yom Kippur A Go-Go ($15)
- Musician/composer Elie Massias’ Brooklyn Days CD ($10)
- Singer/Songwriter Rav Shmuel's "Protocols" and "B'yameinu" music CDs ($18 each) and two t-shirts ($15 each)
Comment to Enter:
"In what ways are you "casting off" and starting new this year?"
- Please make sure your email is available to us, either through your Blogger profile, post or otherwise. If we can't reach you, you can't win.
- Check back here or sign up for our Newsletter (sign up box is on top right) to be notified of the winner on September 17.
- How we pick the winners -- We use a random number generator and if it matches (a) a real attempt at an answer (which all of them usually are) and (b) we can contact the person (we will go searching for your contact on your blog, Twitter, website), then that person is the winner. If either (a) or (b) isn't true, we generate another random number and start over.
- No purchase is required to enter. This contest is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada 18 years old and older. Void where prohibited. Your comments will be displayed without further approval or compensation.
June, 21, 2009 Happy Father's Day!
Congratulations to Randie K. and her husband Larry of Portland, OR for winning the Cool Jew Papa's Day Giveaway!
Once again, we are really touched by the thoughtful answers to our question about what makes your special man a cool Jew. Each entrant get's a $10 gift code for ModernTribe.com. I have tried to contact each of you individually. If you haven't heard from me, please email me for your code: Jennie@ModernTribe.com.
The reason my husband is the coolest Jew is that he wasn't a Jew when we met. In fact, I am not sure that my favorite Oregonian knew any Jews before we met! But I can tell you, after 7 years of marriage and two beautiful Jewish daughters, never was there a finer husband and father. He goes to services because he wants to, not because I tell him to. He's sad it's the summer because Mishpicha Minyan is over until the fall. He reminds me to light candles. He spent hours with me, pouring over name books to pick out the perfect Hebrew names for our children. He may not be Jewish by birth but his spirit sure is.
Seven Mensches and two Mamalahs have contributed over $240 worth of gifts to giveaway to one lucky guy. Comment on this post and answer this question:
A winner will be chosen from the answers and announced on Father's Day, Sunday, June 21.
(click on image for a larger view)
* Author Ron Arons' Jews of Sing Sing book and t-shirt
* Stand-up comedian Yisrael Campbell's "Circumcise Me" DVD
* Comedy writer Seth Front's set of four Jewish Zodiac placemats
* Author Lisa Alcalay Klug's book Cool Jew: The Ultimate Guide for Every Member of the Tribe
* Author Matthue Roth’s novels, Never Mind the Goldbergsand Losers
* Entrepreneur Jennie Rivlin Roberts' ModernTribe.com products "Can!!Can" CD and Punk Torah t-shirt and "No Limit Texas Dreidel" Game
* Artist Ben Schachter's "Treif" stickers
* Singer/Songwriter Rav Shmuel's "Protocols" and "B'yameinu" music CDs and two t-shirts
Comment below to enter!
(Please make sure your email is available through your Blogger profile. If you are commenting anonymously, you must email us with your comment so that we know how to contact you if you win! email@example.com)
Check back here or sign up for our Newsletter to be notified of the winner on June 21! (No purchase is required to enter. This contest is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada.)
Congratulations Michael W. and his mother who have won the Cool Mamalah's Call-Your-Mother Gift Box!
Here is what Michael says about his mom:
My mother would truly love this gift box tremendously - I would love to even purchase one for her for Mother's Day. My mother was only able to have one natural child (my oldest sister) and adopted three others, and treated all four kids like they were their very own blood and none differently than the others. My mother has stuck by me and supported me all my life, albeit in times when she may have found it difficult to hold her tongue, she allowed me to fail in a way that got me to straighten up and fly right. She treats my wife like a true daughter and member of the family - and puts up with all the guff and never says a bad word about it. I remember as a young boy growing up in a reform jewish home, that whenever her father would come to visit from Chicago, all the pork products would have to be hidden so he wouldnt find them. And she was such an excellent cook and baker, and even had a lock on her freezer door to keep her children from eating all the goodies she would make in advance for parties and such. She is still a trip, I am glad she is still with us, and miss her dearly between visits.
She deserves to be remember every day, not just on Mother's Day :)
All of the Cool Mamalahs: Jennifer, Lisa, Maya, Doni, Meredith, and I are so touched by the entries to this giveaway. Thank you for sharing the descriptions of the special women in your life.
We would love to stay in touch with you and invite you to join the Cool Mamalah's Email Lists.
All who join this list will receive:
- $10 Gift Code from ModernTribe.com -- good for $10 at ModernTribe.com
- 50% off Gift Code for the Modern Jewish Mom's t-shirt when it becomes available this fall. Meredith (the Modern Jewish Mom) & I are planning a contest to develop a beautiful graphic design celebrating all Modern Jewish Moms. We will notify you of the contest and invite you to vote for your favorite designs. When the t-shirt is available, you will be able to purchase it for 50% off.
- 15% off Gift Code for the new Cool Jew t-shirt featuring the cover design from Lisa's book.
Join The Cool Mamalah's Email Lists Email:
- The Call-Your-Mother Gift Box is presented by the Cool Mamalahs.
- You can purchase items from the Call-Your-Mother Gift Box on ModernTribe.com.
Lisa Alcalay Klug, the author of Cool Jew, and myself are offering one lucky winner the following fun Passover Seder accoutrements, all boxed and ready to give. To enter go to Cool Jew Book and type your email in the "Giveaway" box. You will be joining the Cool Jew Book email list. Enter between Thursday, March 26th to Monday, March 30th. Enter now.
Hip Hop Seder Box
- Cool Jew Book
- Moses Action Figure
- So Called Seder Hip Hop Hagaddah CD
- Zelda's Marshmallow Chocolate Covered Frog
Thank you for entering! The winner will be announced on Tuesday, March 31 and will receive the Hip Hop Seder Box in time for the first night of Passover, April 8th.
** Update: Congratulations to Maya G. of LA - winner of the Hip Hop Seder Box. Buy it for $31.99 - we will ship it worldwide. http://tinyurl.com/cb3c9z